Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Carrot Cake Jam

Ok, so I had a bumper crop of carrots from my garden.  I didn't want them to go to waste, so I started searching for recipes.   I've already made 4 loaves of carrot bread, one big old carrot cake {that our Sunday School class gobbled up and I'm making another one today :)} and last night I busted out my canner to make....

CARROT CAKE JAM!
Doesn't that sound delicious?

It was super easy to make...getting all the jars together was probably the most time consuming part!


Big old bowl of carrots...had to grate them all up!


Into the water bath for processing!


= 10 delicious jars of jam!

Can't wait to taste it...so happy all my jars sealed!

If you'd like to make some...here's the recipe!

Carrot Cake Jam

2 cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup finely chopped and peeled pear
1 15 ounce can of crushed pineapple (juice pack, undrained)
2 T lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1.75 ounce pkg of fruit pectin
4 cups granulate sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup raisins or flaked coconut (optional)
1 tsp vanilla

Combine carrots, pear, pineapple, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in 4-6 quart pot.  Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in pectin until completely dissolved.
Bring mixture to boil, add sugars. 
Return to full rolling boil, boil for one minute.
Skim off foam with metal spoon
Stir in coconuts/raisins and vanilla.
Ladle into jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
Process in water canner for 10 minutes.
Makes 7 half pints.

Enjoy!
Recipe is from BHG Canning magazine!

happy day!

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your wonderful comments! They really make my day! I will always try to comment back within this section and if you are following me, I will happily follow you!